Navaratri falls mostly in the month of October – November and hence makes these months significant in our life every year. Those who utilize this month in the best possible way prepare themselves completely with Physical, Mental and Divine Energy for the complete year. We take you to the complete preparation for the upcoming year by preparing you with total Schedule, Do’s and Don’ts, Activating the Spiritual energy within in such a way that keeps you charged all through the year.
But before moving on to the main stream let us understand systematically as to why this October is so special that we keep fast and worship the 9 forms of Shakti.
Significance of October (Ashwin Month)
Actually October is the 10th month of Gregorian Calendar which is based on Solar Calendar i.e based on the changes taking place with change of Sun’s position in various Zodiac. From the Sun point of view we can say that during this month the Sun goes into the sign of debilitation so the Sun’s Energy is compensated with the divine energy of Shakti. As per Hindu Calendar this month is Aswin Month. This has a great significance for all of us as some of the major festivals such as Pitru Paksha, Indira Ekadashi, Sarvapitru Amavasya, Jivitputrika Vrat, Shardiya Navratri, Saraswati Avahan Puja, Durga Ashtami, Papankusha Ekadashi, Dussehra, Kojagara Puja, Sharad Purnima, Lalita Panchami, Maha Navami and Saraswati puja are celebrated.during this month.
Significance of Navratri and Fasting in Navratri
This is one of the best months out of the 12 months. Now why Navratri is celebrated in Ashvin Maas (i.e. October – November)?
- You can feel a different energy within you and in your surroundings. In Sanatan Dharam every occasion, festival or deed has some logic and scientific reason.
- The basic reason of Navaratri is that this also is the transition phase from one ritu(autumn) to another(winter); an important junction of climate change.
- Due to the seasonal change, our immunity debilitates. There’s also evidence that exposure to cold temperatures suppresses the immune system.
- Seasons also affect our immune cells, and the composition of our blood and fat, according to a study.
- So along with the fast this is the best time for Dhyan Sadhana and Meditation as all the divine energies are closer to the Earth.
- Change of seasons in a year is directly connected to both the Equinoxes and the Solstices. Literal meaning of Equinox is equal night. This quarter northern hemisphere of the planet becomes gentle because it receives the least amount of sunlight from now on(oct-nov). After oct-nov ,days get shorter and nights longer.
- Navratri is the period when our biological cycles (sleep-wake cycle) go through changes and reconcile.
- During these nine days people do intermittent fasting (upvas), and consume satvik food. Saatvik foods are thought to be pure and balanced, offering feelings of calmness.
- They also give rest to the digestive system and helps in detoxification. Yes, you heard it right. The scientific reason behind fasting during Navratri is to detoxify your body.
- So let’s acknowledge the changes and it is also the period to connect the individual consciousness with the divine.
(To be continued.. )